1. What is the normal genotype?
2. What is the genotype for Sickle Cell Disease?
3. What is the genotype for Sickle Cell trait carrier?
4. What percentage of people have
(a) Sickle Cell Disease in Nigeria?
(b) Sickle Cell trait in Nigeria?
5. List five common types of Genotype
6. List four possible genotypes that can combine to give a Sickle Cell Disease (SS) child
7. List four possible genotypes that can be born with the couples shown below
(a) AS x AS (b) SS x SS (c) AS x SC (d) AA x AS (e) AA x AA
8. Which of the following can best describe Sickle Cell Disease? Sickle Cell Disease is……
(a) a bone disease (b) an eye disease (c) a blood disease (d) a foot disease
(e) a skin disease (f) a hand disease
9. Indicate the correct answer;
Sickle Cell can be spread or contacted
(a) through germs or infection
(b) through inheritance from the father
(c) through inherited from the mother
(d) through inheritance from both parents
(e) through curse by enemies
(f) through bad air and poor surroundings
10. Indicate which statement is true or false
Sickle Cell Disease patients
(a) are usually frequently ill
(b) usually have chronic anaemia
(c) do not usually need blood transfusion
(d) can usually not do rigorous tasks
(e) usually have bone pain crises
(f) can have very severe crises that could kill, triggered off by malaria infection or even the common cold
(g) never have yellowness of the eyes
11. Which of the seven factors above if any, will be expected in a sickle trait (AS) ‘carrier’ individual
Indicate the letters from question 10 above
12. If you are a carrier (AS) or a sickler (SS), which of the following genotypes below do you think your future partner should have to prevent you both from any chance of producing SS children?
(a) AA (b) AS (c) SS
13. Which of the following steps would you take in choosing your future partner to prevent SS children in your family?
(a) Leave all to God and chance
(b) Church prophets and prophet and prophetess or Imams’s decisions
(c) The advice of a genetic counselor
(d) Juju oracle
14. Choose any 5 from the following that a Sickle Cell patient must do
(a) Attend Church services regularly
(b) Visit the babalawo regularly
(c) Take anti malaria regularly
(d) See his/her doctor regularly
(e) Pray in the Mosque daily
(f) Avoid cold conditions
(g) Eat a balanced diet
(h) Maintain rigorous hygiene
15. Have you heard of the Sickle Cell Hope Alive Foundation? If so name the pillars of the foundation.
4. (a)2 - 3% (b) 25 -27%
5. (a) AA (b) AS (c) SS (d) SS (e) AC
6. (a) AS x AS (b) AS x SS (c) AS x SC (d) SS x SC (e) SS x SS
7. (a) AA, AS, SS (b) SS only (c) AS, SS, SC, AC (d) AA, AS (e) AA only
8. A blood disease
9. Through inheritance from both parents
10. (a) True (b) True (c) False (d) True (e) True (f) True
11. None of the above mentioned in Roman numbers
13. The advice of a genetic counselor
14. (c) take anti malaria regularly
(e) See his/her doctors regularly
(c) Avoid cold conditions
(d) Eat a balanced diet
(e) Maintain rigorous hygiene
15. Awareness Research Care Affiliate Network