Malaria is an infection caused by parasites that are carried by mosquitoes. Sickle cell patients can easily have the infection. These parasites destroy the blood cells and reduces the amount of blood in the child (anaemia). This reduction is dangerous in a child with sickle cell disease.
PREVENTION OF MALARIA
- Give your child anti-malarial drugs (proguanil) daily from 2months of age
- Sleep under insecticide treated mosquito nets at night.
- Use of mosquito repellant on his/ her skin if the child is outside during the day
- Net your house widows to keep mosquitoes out.
SYMPTOMS OF MALARIA
- Fever greater than 37.5C
- Poor appetite
- Trouble sleeping
- Fast breathing
- Bad temper, cranky
- Sweating after fever
- Enlarged spleen (swollen stomach)
REMEDIES OF MALARIA
- See your Doctor when there are symptoms of malaria fever
- Do malaria test.
- Use your drugs.